Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Finding Joy in the Journey: Fun With Chalk!

It's easy to get bogged down in the monotony of the everyday things. Don't you think?

I'm not sure why, but this last time we played with outdoor chalk was especially enchanting.

Maybe it was all the color:

Maybe it was Jane's vigor--I don't know why she won't smile for a picture any more, but she really was happy!

Maybe it was the realization that Jane's drawings are becoming recognizable.
"Look, Mom! It's Yeti's footprint!"

Maybe it was Charlie doing what he always does.
He doesn't usually draw. If there is any water, he gets a piece of chalk and colors it. The chalk gets all mushy and soft. I assume he's learning something, I just know what!

Maybe it was Tommy's excitement for the whole thing. He doesn't draw, either. He tries to eat it instead.

I think it was probably the FUN we had in such simplicity,

and in being together.

Whatever it was, I'm thankful for small reminders that life is good.

6 comments:

Nat said...

I love it! I guess today was a great day across the nation!

P.S. Tommy is adorable! I love those eyes!

P.P.S. Adam isn't my whiner. That is another reason the pictures are so funny to me! :)

Mamafamilias said...

Amen and Amen. That's why I loved having my Love Potions all to myself this past weekend. Just having fun being together.

And the footprint is great. Would it be bad of me to say it could also be a body outline of something??

loved 'em.

Foxyboxy said...

Hear, hear, amen and I second that. ;) Sidewalk chalk...who knew?

politicchic6 said...

Ha! all the little kids in our neighborhood for some reason like to color with their chalk on our driveway. I think their parents feel bad and wash it off each evening because when Alan leaves for work it is always gone, but we secretly find it hilarious.

Sandra said...

That last line is perfect! Cute pics, your kids are adorable.

Nat said...

You're right. We both have amazing taste in clothes, but we also have amazing taste in names! I obviously love Jane's real name, but we tossed around Tommy's real name when we were naming our last.

Kate wants an invite to my blog, but I don't have her email address. Can I get it from you?