Monday, December 15, 2008

Memories of Christmas

WARNING: For those of you who do not want to read about my Christmas feelings: THIS POST IS NOT FOR YOU. And I am totally UN-offended if you don't read it.

For FHE tonight, Charlie and I (and Jane played on the floor around us) borrowed and watched Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer (thanks Auburn the Fierce!). This is the first year that Charlie has really been interested in things like Santa, reindeer, Christmas trees, etc., and so I thought he would enjoy the old children's classic. While we watched I was engulfed with childhood memories...

I remember when we lived in the old house and I had the flu on Christmas (horrible! I know). We went to Grandma and Granddad's on Christmas Eve and did the nativity--well, everyone else went. I was quarantined, of course! And how much more horrible it was because it was MY year to be Mary! However, the reason this Christmas stuck out to me tonight was because this was the year (I'm pretty sure) that I received my own Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer, from the movie, that walked by himself. I had him for a long time--even after he stopped working properly.

And from there the memories kept popping out, but I won't bore you with them. They are special to me because I was there and experienced them, but they wouldn't be all that special to you, because you have your own memories to laugh and feel warm about. But I did want to say that this year more than ever I have been reflecting on the meaning of Christmas. Maybe because this is the first year Bart and I will have our own Christmas far from family. Maybe because we finally have kids who can understand a little of what's going on. I don't know, but I DO know that I want Charlie and Jane to realize the birth of the Savior was such a special night and that it can bring wonderful joy into their lives. I want them to recognize this holiday as one spent with family, and hope that someday, they can look back on the Christmas memories we create together with the fondness that I look back on my own.

3 comments:

Kate said...

I am sure that your kids memories will be as wonderful as your own. They would have to be with parents like you two. We will miss you a lot this year, but we know you will be back this way before too long, and then Jackson can be the angel in the family nativity and say, "Hey! You! There's a baby born! Get going!" Thanks for your great posts. I love checking your blog.

Unknown said...

What?!? No code name? What's a girl gotta do to get a code name?

Jake Taylor said...

Sounds like you had an amazing Christmas! I know most of the fun this Christmas was seeing Gigi with her new toys. She'll be even more fun next year because she'll actually understand more of what's going on. I like what you said about Christmas though! I vaguely remember that Christmas when you were quarantined. Sad!