Wednesday, September 9, 2009

"...Our Nation's Cap-i-TOLE." --Forrest Gump

Life is all about new discoveries. 
That's why we're PIRATES.

Last weekend we discovered our nation's capital for the first time.
We learned much, saw a little
(one day is NOT ENOUGH!!), and had a grand ole time.



Bart's sister, Laura the Lethal, lives in the area and took us on many fun adventures.
We even tried the Metro for the first time! 
(no pictures allowed)



General Grant is a Great Babysitter.


Funny story: 
Just after we took this picture, Jane took her hat off and was watching the ducks. Two cute little Chinese ladies (they told us they were from China--I'm not just assuming!) took several pictures of her sitting there and then took turns sitting next to her with their arms around her for a more shots.


Bart's uncle, the FLY GUY, works at one of the Smithsonian institutions and we were able to visit him and his wife. He took us on the grand tour of his office and specimens.



Betcha didn't know Laura the Lethal and Anne B. are not only pirates, but superheros with arachnid capabilities. Here we demonstrate our powers at Washington Monument.


The kids really enjoyed Washington Monument as well...


WWII Memorial:
Giving a shout-out to all the fam "back home..."
(we were going to stand by the state we live in now, but it was on the other side and took too much effort after all the walking we had done previously.)



We were very impressed with Abraham Lincoln. The whole monument was spectacular.


Can you see Jane? 
She picked this seat all by herself and if we tried to sit next to her, she'd say, "Move."



Korean War Memorial


Another funny story:
Here we were, taking a break by the Vietnam Memorial, innocently eating our fruit snacks when suddenly someone behind us patted our backs and said, "Sank You."
We looked up and realized THE SAME TWO CHINESE LADIES were taking their pictures with us again. I was so amused that I handed them our camera too. Just then, the tour group they were with passed by and before she took the picture, they invited several friends to join in.
I'm sure Bart and Laura the Lethal did not find it as humorous as I, but I was laughing quite heartily most of the time. Especially after one of the tour group pulled his video camera out and gave us a big thumbs up sign.
IT WAS GREAT!
I love these little random moments in life. They put a smile on my face every time!


We never made it to Jefferson Memorial because it was raining and the kids (more like the ADULTS) were tired, but here are some nice pictures with it in the back ground. 
I think the river is the Potomac?



On our way back to the Metro. 
There is a cool tree by the Washington Monument.
Jane had been walking the entire time in the rain (see her plastered head?). Charlie enjoyed the quiet ride in the covered wagon (nice and dry).  
Anyway, we are definitely going to go back. So much we didn't see and so much we'd like to spend more time doing!

9 comments:

Karen E. said...

I lived in DC for five years and loved it--your pictures make me homesick!

Amy Hunter said...

How Fun!!! I went there when I was a senior for a week and didn't see half of what I wanted too! I know the feeling. I love that the chinese ladies love little Jane's hair so much they couldn't get enough of it. And, secretly I'm a pirate too. But, also a ninja.

Tinkerbel said...

I wish we would have known you were going. We would have stayed there longer or changed our plans so that we could be there together for at least a day. I would have recommended the National Zoo. The kids would LOVE it!!! It is a good zoo.

Tyler & Katie Rice said...

Fun! I always think DC would be a great place to take kids. What a fun trip!

Megan said...

Haha that is so random. I love it! Foreigners are the best. We once got recorded by some french people floating down the river in Moab. :)

jake and erin said...

Looks like a fun trip! I laughed out loud at your funny story :)

Charlotte said...

DC is one of my favorite cities. We try to visit as often as we can. Glad you had fun.

RobinsonRugrats said...

I love all of the great pictures. It looks like a good time was had by all. Glad you had fun and are back safely.

Anonymous said...

Isn't the Metro the greatest? I also love the streetcars. I loved going and want to go back. Maybe we could go together? I love the Chinese ladies story. The pictures are great.