Our first official hurricane: IRENE.
Luckily we were already pretty prepared because of our church's teachings on being self-sufficient and keeping storage on hand. Friday I put our 72-hour-kits together, because that is one thing that we didn't have. We had enough drinking water to last us a few days, and the night before Irene came plowing down the runway we filled our bathtub, cooler, 5 gallon cooler, and washer with water for things like doing dishes and flushing the toilet. It is amazing how you don't really appreciate those little things--flushing the toilet. I'll tell you that the prospects of no running water and sitting around with that schtuff floating around is enough to make anyone queasy. Really.
Anyhoo~We began the day at 6:15 with Charlie and Jane coming in saying they looked outside, saw the wind, and got scared. We still had power and I thought, "Take advantage of it! BREAKFAST!" and downstairs we went to make mush (instant oatmeal) and have cold milk.
It didn't take long before the kids were playing and I was wishing I could just curl up with a good book. Jane asked over and over to go outside. She just couldn't understand what the big deal was. Finally, after she asked to go make hopscotch outside, I opened the front door to SHOW her why we couldn't. She saw the rain, the wind, the branches and leaves littering the ground and said, "Oh," but with a look of disappointment I just couldn't take. That's when I remembered the Spiderman Christmas wrapping paper Charlie picked out two years ago that I've been dying to get rid of! YES!
Roll it out with the white side up, use a marker, and voila! Hopscotch!
As the day wore on, we were increasingly surprised that we still had power, but wanted to utilize it to the fullest. Bart and Charlie pulled out the Legos. (If you nerds out there really want to know, Bart began building the Star Wars AT-AT. Super cool.)
Bart and Tommy cooking us some grub. (WHAT? We STILL have electricity? I'm not saying that to brag--we really were flabbergasted!)
Saturday evening the kids and Bart decided to go on an adventure "into the hurricane" (since the biggest part of the storm had past) to the dumpster. The little dare devils.
This is what we found the next morning:
Our back yard "caved in." The trees hit the back of the unit 2 doors down from us, damaging the outside. We can usually run the span of the yard to the end of the building in the back of this picture, but now: not so much.
One of our maintenance guys (in dark blue) clearing the road that was completely impassible with trees before.
SAVE THE ACORNS! begins as the kids realize that 100s of acorns are down without a home. I think they collected at least 30 of them before we said, "No more!"
Our drain completely clogged. When we went to bed last night there was a pool filled up to the sidewalk!
All-in-all we weathered the storm quite well. I feel almost guilty because we never lost power or had to use all that food storage that we had prepared when so many of our friends DID lose power (some still don't have it).
We are so blessed. We are blessed with good friends and family and are so thankful that everyone here is safe and secure--that Irene didn't claim any victims. Thanks to all of you for your well wishes!


























8 comments:
wow lots of trees down! glad you guys made it through just fine!
I'm glad you got through it so well! I went through 3 hurricanes on my mission. I would much rather go through a hurricane because you get more time to prepare for them. Still, they aren't all that fun, but it looks like you had a good time. Your kids are so cute. Jane is slimming down and looking less like a baby. Kinda crazy how fast they grow up!
Eeek! I am so glad you guys (and the daffodil) made it through the storm.
I guess we're all a bunch of nerds. We also have the Lego Star Wars AT-AT.
Hmmm...through all this blogging, I am learning how alike we are! Awesome taste in baby names, clothes, toys and who knows what else!
If a hurricane ever happened here (and that would be some hurricane to travel so far inland), and we had that many trees down, there would be no trees left in the entire state. HOLY COW!!! poor trees. I bet the Arbor Day Foundation hates hurricanes. You guys are so brave! Chalk that up as one thing you've accomplished in your life--the weathering of one mean ol' storm. Think I'll stick with landlocked states. :)
Oh my! I am glad that you guys are okay!
BTW... I have a new blog address. It is:
jaceandjodymartin.blogspot.com
Grateful your all safe!
I'm happy to hear everyone is safe and you guys were blessed not to lose your power!
Your kids are adorable by the way! Sounds like they had a pretty good day despite the horror going on outside!
Those trees must be close to naked with all those leaves on the ground. BTW, I had to google Schtuff. Am I a dork or what. Cute kids.
Post a Comment