Friday, October 22, 2010

The Deep Abyss--THE COUCH

This morning I decided to dejunk all the kids' toys. It's amazing how fast we accumulate JUNKY toys. The water guns that work for one fight (or less) before they are leaking every where, the Happy Meal toys--when they're good, the pieces of who-knows-where-the-rest-of-the-set-this-belongs-to-is. You get the picture.

While I was cleaning up I came to Charlie's pile of toys that he stashes on top of our couch between the cushion and the back. (You know, every person has a special place they keep the stuff they need for later--this is his!) Action figure Darth Vader was missing his helmet. I thought, "Hmm. It probably fell between the cushions," and went on a hunt. I felt between the cushions and made my way down to the bottom of the couch. You know what place I'm talking about. The place beneath the sitting cushions where it meets the back. The crack where EVERYTHING gets stuck. In went my fingers and sure enough they felt...something. Make that MANY somethings. I began pulling things up and once I started I couldn't stop!

1 Darth Vader Helmet
6 Action Figures: Luke, Anakin, Obi Wan, Han Solo, Knight, Princess Leia
1 Backyardigan's Ship Mast
Jane's Pink Sunglasses
1 Computer Remote
Bart's good watch--STILL TICKING (he "lent" this to Charlie eons ago)
1 Heating Pad made of a sock filled with rice
1 Adult Male Sock
1 Adult Female Sock (for the record, this was put there by the kids. Just ask me!)
1 Lego man's hair
1 Blue Lightening McQueen
1 Child Cup
3 Magneato Magnets
1 Vacuum Attachment
1 sm bunny
1 Horse
1 Pirate Sword
2 Wooden Spoons
1 Aqua Doodle Pen
1 squishy Halloween Mouse from last year
6 Ugly Red Trolls (pieces to LOTR Risk)
3 Ugly Black Trolls
4 Crayons
1 Letter "T" magnet
2 Child Butter Spreaders
1 Pen
1 C3PO Arm
1 Recorder (that's right--the INSTRUMENT) Cleaning Rod
7 Fake Food Items: Potato Chip, Hot Dog, Strawberry, Ice Cream Sandwich, Ice Cream Cone, 2 French Fries
An embarrassing amount of paper, lint, candy wrappers, M&Ms, jelly beans, etc.

I'm not going to mention that by cleaning out the couch, I just found more toys to add to the original problem in the first place.

AND if all that isn't embarrassing enough, there was only a meager $0.16. 3 Nickels and 1 penny. All that and no spare change?? Sheesh. I guess this means I need to clean out the couch more often. Either that, or lose more change down the crack so it's worth it when I DO clean it!

6 comments:

Karen E. said...

This list is absolutely hilarious! Look at all the treasures you found--you never know when you will need a magneato magnet or a C3PO arm.

Nat said...

Ha ha ha! At least you found the Darth Vader helmet!

I'm not even going to look in my couch! Ignorance is bliss! :)

Foxyboxy said...

You just tackled one of the scariest places in the house. :) Although, I have noticed that kids have an uncanny knack for finding things that no adult human would possibly ever see. It's the world at our knee's level--and it's full of interesting surprises. :)

Jody and Jace Martin said...

Oh, I have SO BEEN THERE! Don't you wonder how you can have SO MUCH STUFF under there and never feel it when you actually SIT on the couch!

politicchic6 said...

Alan always finds a million pens. And they are always mine... I never even ATTEMPT to get into the couch cushions.

Marcie said...

Haha. This is great! I love how you actually went through the effort to list everything instead of just tossing them into the garbage like I do when I clean my couch. Which hasn't been done in awhile. Ever since the kids' violin teacher told them brown recluse spiders like couches. Now we're afraid to stick our hands down there. :)